- Create your own website or blog to post your creative work and ideas for the world to see (tumblr.com and blogspot.com are free)
- Join LinkedIn and create a personal page, and fill it out completely
- Post to Twitter and connect with other design professionals there
- Identify top blogs about your chosen field and read them often or subscribe to their feeds
- Identify top experts in your chosen field and subscribe to their email newsletters
- Contact your local Business Journal or university library and buy or check out a copy of the Book of Lists, which lists the top 25 advertising and/or other marketing firms in your area. Contact each of those firms to let them know of your interest and offer your skills.
In other words, be a “force to be reckoned with” online and easy to find. If you have an unusual name, make it your brand and market it. If you have a common name, create a unique brand name for your work and capabilities.